Mayor Buddy Dyer is a visionary leader. He has been outspoken about the importance of clean and renewable energy. He is committed to Sierra Club’s Mayors for 100% Clean Energy initiative. He is committed to a goal of using 100% renewable sources to provide electricity for the municipalities by 2030 and using 100% renewable sources to provide electricity for the entire city by 2050. A quote from Mayor Buddy Dyer:
“Cities are the front lines where this transformation can happen and by leading an effort like this, we can not only help to improve the health of our residents but also help preserve natural resources, ensure environmental protection, create new jobs in the growing clean energy industry and drive even more economic growth to our region.”
May 31, 2017 Press Release
Mayor signed the Under2 MOU, a commitment by sub-national governments launched at the United Nations COP 21 to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions towards net-zero by 2050 and implement strategies to mitigate a 2 degree Celsius rise in global temperature from pre-industrial levels. Currently, City of Orlando has a goal of reducing GHG emissions by 90% compared to 2007 levels by the 2040, a more ambitious target than the international Paris Climate agreement. Orlando joins a total of 170 jurisdictions representing 33 countries and six continents that have also signed or endorsed the Under2 MOU.
- The City of Orlando has over 2,000 vehicles including 162 trucks.
- 28 of the refuse trucks are -hydraulic hybrids
- 30 of the refuse trucks are compressed natural gas (CNG)
- The city plan is the process of acquiring 100 electric workhorse trucks
- The City has implemented a program to phase in bio-diesel as a clean alternative fuel for diesel engines.
- Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority – LYNX is currently in the process of transitioning its entire fleet of public busses to CNG
Mayor Buddy Dyer has demonstrated outstanding leadership as a visionary through setting and effectively communicating sustainability goals. He has done an outstanding job helping stakeholders and the community at large understands the importance and value of setting goals that preserve natural resources and our environment.
MOU – “Memorandum of Understanding”
COP21 – “ 21st Conference of Parties” held in Paris
Under2 – “What is believed necessary to avoid a 2 degree Celsius rise in average global temperatures.”